How do I take care of my smile with home oral hygiene habits?
Dr. Jon Edmondson takes time to educate Windsor Mill, Maryland, area patients on proper oral hygiene habits to improve the health and wellness of the smile. Below are a few recommendations from him and his team at Edmondson Family Dental Care for keeping the teeth and gums healthy and beautiful:
- See your dentist for regular dental examinations. It is recommended that adults attend two routine cleanings per year. However, more frequent exams may be necessary if you are at risk for periodontal disease or have a history of dental issues.
- Have professional dental cleanings performed. Our dental hygienists often perform these at routine dental examinations.
- Brush your teeth twice a day using a soft-bristled toothbrush. Use fluoride toothpaste to help prevent cavities and keep your enamel strong and healthy.
- Floss daily! Flossing removes plaque and food particles that can get stuck between the teeth and under the gum line. We recommend using an ADA-approved floss or water flosser for the best results.
- Limit sugary snacks and beverages throughout the day. Sugary snacks and drinks are known to increase the chances of developing cavities. Maintaining a healthy diet with little to no sugar can dramatically reduce your risk of tooth decay.
- Avoid tobacco products. Smoking or chewing tobacco often leads to serious oral health issues like gum disease and oral cancer. If you currently use these products, talk to your dentist about ways to quit.
Learn more about the best ways of maintaining mouth hygiene!
These are just a couple of tips that Dr. Jon Edmondson and his team recommend in order to achieve optimal oral hygiene habits and maintain a healthy smile. To learn more, contact us at Edmondson Family Dental Care today! We are here to provide personalized care that will help keep your teeth clean and healthy for years! Call (410) 220-5309 to request a visit at the Windsor Mill, MD office at 3100 Lord Baltimore Drive, Suite #210. The office is open to new patients from the surrounding cities of Columbia, Owing Mills, Baltimore, Pikesville, and Glen Burnie, MD